[HarfBuzz] Making harfbuzz more appealing for mupdf project

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sat Jun 17 11:48:02 UTC 2017

Thanks Ebrahim.  Hi Robin,

I'm confused.  HarfBuzz definitely IS completely threadsafe to the best of
my knowledge.  That was one of the strong design goals. I have had to
maintain, debug, and fix threadsafety issues in FreeType, fontconfig, and
Pango over the years, so I definitely know the issues and tried to address
them all in HarfBuzz.

* It is utterly thread unsafe. It uses statics to hold
* structures in, meaning that if it is ever called from
* more than one thread at a time, access to such
* structures can race.

This can't be farther from true.  I use compare-and-exchange to safely
implement singleton initializations or prepend-only linked-lists as
caches.  How is that not threadsafe?

Runtime-configurable custom allocators are different issue.  I don't
believe they are a useful feature and have not yet seen a compelling
usecase.

Since Robin is not on the mailing list, let's continue on github:
https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/issues/497

behdad

PS. Sometime I think about shutting down the list and using github
exclusively.  What do people think?