[HarfBuzz] Ubuntu 16.04 building 1.5.1 from source didn't quite work for me

Rolf Langenhuijzen rolf.langenhuijzen at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 24 20:59:11 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Was away from Harfbuzz for a while, but today tried to get it running (as expected) on a freshly installed server Ubuntu 16.04 32 bit.
I followed the build instructions at https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/blob/master/BUILD.md <https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/blob/master/BUILD.md> to setup the basic packages etc.

I kept some old notes from previous installations (going back to 0.9.26 I think), and after downloading in the root home folder;
- sudo ./autogen.sh
- sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr
- sudo make && make install

(sometimes the configure was with more options, but as this was for basic use anyway, I didn’t add any)

After this I usually copied util/hb-view to /usr/local/bin and that was it (used it from there instead of /usr/bin).

But, now with 1.5.1, I noticed the util/.libs folder that final hb-view build (was also copied in /usr/bin).
When I run hb-view —version I get:
- hb-view (HarfBuzz) 1.5.1
- Available shapers: graphite2,ot,fallback
- Linked HarfBuzz library has a different version: 1.0.1

Question: why is that 3rd line there?

When I run a simple hb-view test I get:
- hb-view: symbol lookup error: hb-view: undefined symbol: hb_font_set_variations

Question: what does this mean?

Should I destroy this server and start over?

Kind regards,
Rolf

PS locally, on OS X using brew, the updates/upgraded always are fine without issues