[HarfBuzz] Documenting OpenType shaping

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Tue Jun 5 14:42:38 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I've been working on a set of specification-like documents that describe
how OpenType Layout works, specifically for shaping complex scripts. It's
not quite complete yet, but we'd appreciate any and all feedback that the
community can provide.

The repository is here:
https://github.com/n8willis/opentype-shaping-documents/

As the resident README says, the starting points that we'd currently
suggest people look at are

- The Indic scripts, which you can get to from here:
https://github.com/n8willis/opentype-shaping-documents/blob/master/opentype-shaping-indic-general.md
- The Arabic-and-related scripts (N'Ko, Syriac, Mongolian):
https://github.com/n8willis/opentype-shaping-documents/blob/master/opentype-shaping-arabic-general.md
- Hangul:
https://github.com/n8willis/opentype-shaping-documents/blob/master/opentype-shaping-hangul.md

A couple of the others are more-or-less complete, although I'm waiting on
some question-loops to close with people I've privately been bugging with
my questions. That includes Myanmar and Tibetan.

I would definitely stay away from the Thai/Lao doc, which is in major
churn, and Hebrew, which hopefully lands shortly.

In any case, the goal here is to bridge the gap left by Microsoft's
"Developing OpenType fonts for Script X" pages, which only offer some
details aimed at font designers, and the OpenType/Unicode specs.

It's targeting developers who have to implement script shaping. It's based
primarily on the HarfBuzz codebase, plus whatever is known about Uniscribe,
plus dissecting a lot of fonts. If there's anything that is wrong, or is
unclear, or is missing, please open an issue or a PR or just tell me!

That goes for the illustrations as well as the text; sometimes it can be
tough to tease out an illustration that highlights one specific GSUB
feature, when in reality they are meant to work together.

Your feedback and help is appreciated!

Nate

--
nathan.p.willis