[HarfBuzz] hb_shape API is not working properly (for Below base R) with Myraid Devanagari font

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:22:55 UTC 2018

On 14/11/2018 05:54, Vijendra Singh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using HarfBuzz 2.10 for Indic languages in my application but
> failed to get correct substituted glyph for half “र” from hb_shape API
> for Myriad Devanagari font even proper glyph (प्र) is available in the font.
>
> e.g.प्रदेश () where as it should be likeप्रदेश.
>
> It is also failing in Notepad and other MS Applications but working fine
> in all application of MAC and Adobe applications.

This indicates there must be a difference in behavior between the
Microsoft shaping engine (uniscribe or directwrite), and the Adobe and
Apple engines.

HarfBuzz is designed to match Microsoft behavior, so it sounds like it
is working as expected here.

If Myriad Devanagari fails to shape correctly in Microsoft applications,
I think you should report this to Adobe as a bug in the font.

JK