[HarfBuzz] hb_shape API failing for MAC default Indic MT and Sangam MN fonts

Vijendra Singh visingh at quark.com
Thu Oct 11 10:09:46 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I am using Harfbuzz 1.7.6 for Indic languages in my application but failed to get correct result from hb_shape API for all MAC default Indic MT and MN fonts like- Devanagari MT and Devanagari Sangam MN fonts.

e.g- Input buffer is-
   प+त+्+र+क+ा+र   द+ि+स+ं+ब+र   स+े  म+य+ा+ं+म+ा+र

Resulting output is-
[cid:image001.png at 01D46173.0779E7B0]

whereas it should be like-
     पत्रकार दिसंबर से मयांमार

It seems that issue is in glyph substitution and glyph positioning.
Similar issue is also in Chrome if we render the above text with these fonts but it is rendering fine in application like- MAC TextEdit and Safari with these fonts.

Kindly suggest whether the issue is in hb_shape API or in the fonts or I have to do something at my end to get desire result.

Thanks,
Vijendra Singh