[HarfBuzz] Question on converting UTF-8 codepoints to complex glyphs

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 10 00:54:02 UTC 2019

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 20:11:59 +0000
Paul Daughetee <Daughetee at finaldraft.com> wrote:

> I've followed numerous examples and they all lead me to the
> point where I use hb_buffer_get_glyph_infos to get what I thought
> would be a hb_glyph_info object that contains the codepoints for the
> glyphs I seek.

My remark may be pointless pedantry, but it could be the core of your
problem.

What you get is not a sequence of codepoints ('Unicode scalar
values' in the range 0 to 0x10ffff), but a sequence of glyph
'indices' (I just think of them as glyph numbers) in the range 0 to
0xffff.  Although in some fonts, all glyphs have corresponding Unicode
characters (many in the PUA), this is by no means true of all fonts.

Richard.