[HarfBuzz] Question on converting UTF-8 codepoints to complex glyphs

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 21:28:32 UTC 2019

On 10/04/2019 20:19, Paul Daughetee wrote:
> Let me give you a little more info. I just recently built and installed
> vcpkg and used it to install HarfBuzz on Windows 10. It installed
> version 2.3.1-3 of the static libraries for Window x86. I linked my app
> to the HarfBuzz library and its dependencies. I added code to my app to
> capture single words that I could send to be processed by HarfBuzz as
> they were typed by the user. I installed Google’s NotoSansTamil true
> type font after verifying that it properly defined substitutions for the
> ligature that is formed by the Tamil consonant “tta” when paired with a
> vowel such as “u” or “I”. After processing a UTF-8 string containing the
> consonant and the vowel “tta” and “u” [0xE0, 0xAE, 0x9F, 0xE0, 0xAE,
> 0x89], the hb_glyph_info_t object I get back has tow glyph indices, the
> same indices as the “tta” and “u” (17, 10) rather than the index for the
> “ttauvowelsign” (116) ligature I expected. My code is virtually
> identical to the examples found in the HarfBuzz wiki and to several
> examples found in git. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you're not very familiar with Tamil script?

The UTF-8 sequence [0xE0, 0xAE, 0x9F, 0xE0, 0xAE, 0x89] corresponds to
the two characters <U+0B9F TAMIL LETTER TTA, U+0B89 TAMIL LETTER U>.
These are not expected to combine: U+0B89 is a "full" or standalone
vowel letter.

The ligated syllable 'ttauvowelsign' would be formed by <U+0B9F TAMIL
LETTER TTA, U+0BC1 TAMIL VOWEL SIGN U>.

JK