[HarfBuzz] hb_shape API is not working properly for some Bengali vowels

Vijendra Singh visingh at quark.com
Mon Jun 3 13:46:21 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I am using HarfBuzz 2.10 for Indic languages in my application but failed to get correct substituted glyph from hb_shape API for Bengali text having vowels like e (U+09c7), ai (U+09c8), o (U+09cb), au (U+09cc) in between the words in any Bangali font contains Bengali glyphs like -Nirmala UI Regular font.

These glyphs are substituted fine if these are at the start of word and if these glyphs are in between word then it’s Shirorekha glyph should be return by the shaping API.

Actual result-

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D51A40.D1352D90]

Expected result-

[cid:image001.png at 01D51A3D.A745E2C0]

I have also tested same with latest (2.5.0) HarfBuzz library but no luck result.

Kindly suggest whether the issue is in hb_shape API or in the fonts or I have to do something at my end to get desire result.

Thanks in advance,
Vijendra Singh