[HarfBuzz] Default OpenType features (beginner's question)

Nikolay Sivov bunglehead at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 08:16:42 UTC 2020

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 11:10 AM Patrick <std300 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> does harfbuzz enable OpenType features by default? And if yes, is
> there a list of the default enabled features?
>
> When I load a font, for example CrimsonPro, I get standard ligatures
> (fi for example). Where is this activated? Is this a harfbuzz or a
> font thing? If I don't want them, I have to disable the feature
> explicitly by "-liga"
>
> Background: I use harfbuzz with LuaTeX and my own bindings. A quick
> search makes me slightly confident that the backend software does not
> add liga without my knowledge.

Hi,

Yes, some features are on by default. It happens
in hb_ot_shape_collect_features() I believe.

See [1], and then [2] and [3] is what contributes the most.

[1]
https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz/blob/5539d158b75470dcf41bb86e2e8b9a7a986447c0/src/hb-ot-shape.cc#L309
[2]
https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz/blob/5539d158b75470dcf41bb86e2e8b9a7a986447c0/src/hb-ot-shape.cc#L284