[immodule-qt] a environment variable to control the module

Daisuke Kameda kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp
Mon Jul 19 16:54:53 EEST 2004

On Sunday 18 July 2004 10:32, YamaKen wrote:
> Users will expect same mechanism as GTK+'s
> because our implementation is named 'immodule'.

I also think so.

> Following work is required.
>
> - Decide the environment variable name
> - Decide the precedence between the variable and qtrc
> - Rename our identifier name 'XIM' to 'xim' to consistent with
>   GTK+'s
>
> I think that the name QT_IM_MODULE is appropriate. Although
> there is a opinion that qt-immodule should reuse GTK_IM_MODULE
> to reduce configuration cost for users, I think that it will
> also introduce considerable confusion and traps.

The consistency of our "immodule" and GTK+'s is important.
So, there is meaningful that qt-immodule reuses GTK_IM_MODULE.

But, I also approve of the idea that it becomes the origin
of confusion and trap. And, I think that introduction of environment
variable named QT_IM_MODULE also become the origin of confusion,
since it increases the contents to set up.

It is the better solution for users to prepare a setting tool which
performs both the writing to qtrc and a setup of GTK_IM_MODULE.

However, Identifire name should unify with GTK+'s.

--
Daisuke Kameda <kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp>