[immodule-qt] Should dead key support be builtin feature?

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Mon Jul 19 19:55:50 EEST 2004

At Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:10:49 +0900,
mover at hct.zaq.ne.jp wrote:
> I'm now creating the plugin to support dead/multi key, you know.
> In gtk+, dead/multi key support is provided as gtkimcontextsimple and
> "uim-gtk" uses this.
> That is, dead key support is implemented in immodule level.

There are two orthogonal issues. We should keep them isolated in
the discussion.

1. to provide simple table-based input method as a qt-immodule
   that supports dead/multi keys (QSimpleInputContext)

2. combining QSimpleInputContext into preexisting immodule as
   slave input context as like as uim-gtk

Providing 1. is important because some users not need complex
input method frameworks. Suppose embedded application as an
example. In the case, Qt rules whole GUI environment and
QSimpleInputContext satisfies all requirements for input, in
many countries.

QSimpleInputContext will also be reference implementation for
the immodule for Qt.

> But I think dead key support is indispensable feature, so if we have gtk+ way,
> the same codes appears in iiimf-qt, scim-qt, uim-qt.

I think that uim-gtk's way (2. in above) is a temporary
solution. All of IIIMF, SCIM and uim should support dead/multi
keys itself and allow combining with other methods according to
their own framework. I think that the combination is (well?)
known as 'input method cascading'.

> To avoid this, it's better to add the support to QInputContext, I think.
> dead key support is implemented in inputcontext level.

I disagree with you.

Keep QInputContext simple. It's not an input method framework
itself, but an abstractor of complex input method (including
input method frameworks). Input method cascading is a
responsibility of concrete input method plugins.

To actualize your idea, implement QCombiningInputContext as
shared base class of IIIMF, SCIM and uim is better. But I expect
that IIIMF and SCIM have their own solution.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp