[immodule-qt] Should dead key support be builtin feature?

Daisuke Kameda kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp
Tue Jul 20 11:24:26 EEST 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 01:55, YamaKen wrote:
> At Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:10:49 +0900,
>
> mover at hct.zaq.ne.jp wrote:
> > I'm now creating the plugin to support dead/multi key, you know.

Thank you for your work, Kazuki.

> There are two orthogonal issues. We should keep them isolated in
> the discussion.
>
> 1. to provide simple table-based input method as a qt-immodule
>    that supports dead/multi keys (QSimpleInputContext)
>
> 2. combining QSimpleInputContext into preexisting immodule as
>    slave input context as like as uim-gtk
>
> Providing 1. is important because some users not need complex
> input method frameworks. Suppose embedded application as an
> example. In the case, Qt rules whole GUI environment and
> QSimpleInputContext satisfies all requirements for input, in
> many countries.
>
> QSimpleInputContext will also be reference implementation for
> the immodule for Qt.

I agree with you. Especially, a role of reference implementation
is important. And we should take into consideration that Qt may be
used on the platform which can use neither scim, iiimf nor uim.

> > To avoid this, it's better to add the support to QInputContext, I think.
> > dead key support is implemented in inputcontext level.
>
> I disagree with you.
>
> Keep QInputContext simple. It's not an input method framework
> itself, but an abstractor of complex input method (including
> input method frameworks). Input method cascading is a
> responsibility of concrete input method plugins.

It is right. Keeping Input method framework in Qt (that is, immodule
for Qt) simple is very important.

I think it more interesting to enable QSimpleInputContext or its
subclass to read the table written in other files. But this is my taste:)

--
Daisuke Kameda <kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp>