events management to simulate a mouse

input-tools at storiepvtride.it input-tools at storiepvtride.it
Fri Dec 4 17:16:14 UTC 2020

Peter Hutterer writes:

> ftr in case you didn't know yet: XKB has the concept of PointerKeys
> available as option keypad:pointerkeys which provides you with mouse
> emulation on the numpad. Enabled by pressing Shift+NumLock. This works in X
> but for Wayland compositors its implementation-dependent, not sure wlroots
> supports it.

yup, that is the place I'm coming from and did not like it. Your experience
with the XKB config files deeply resonates with mine because - I'm
quoting you - "[it] requires significant experience in 'CS' to understand
what goes where") and this was the reason I tried the libinput path :-)

I could successfully remap some keys but failed at enabling the
PointerKeys extension. As I have a ~75% keyboard I need to remap the
Shift+NumLock default combo.

But I guess you're right and I have to go back to that ugly place and
figure out how to customize the keys to enable the PointerKeys
extension.

Any other solution (including figuring out the wl_roots keyboard API
[0]) looks more discomforting.

Thank you for your technical articles, I'll try to leverage on them!

cheers,

[0] https://github.com/swaywm/wlroots/blob/master/backend/libinput/keyboard.c