[Intel-gfx] Pixel doubling at 720p via HDMI to HDTV

The Fungi fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Sep 24 15:51:07 CEST 2008

I've been following mainline git for a couple months now, hoping
that the issue I'm seeing was known and would be patched in short
order, but I'm starting to realize that I must be the only one
experiencing this... Using ATSC 720p standard timings into a Sony
HDTV via HDMI from an Asus P5E-VM, I'm seeing what I can only
describe as horizontal pixel doubling.

When I first boot the machine, the linux console seems to display
properly in 640x480. If I then fire up a bare X or a login manager,
I can see that half the pixel columns seem to be
repeated/overlapping the adjacent colums. Upon terminating X, this
degredation now affects the formerly smooth linux console as well.
Or it used to. With recent recompilations of xorg/mesa/intel/et
cetera, the linux console is now occupied by a handful of random
characters scattered across the display in a variety of ANSI
foreground and background colors instead.

I started with a Debian/sid machine and the relevant xorg binaries,
libraries and headers from Debian/experimental. Then used the script
from git://gitorious.org/x-org-build-script/mainline.git to build a
working tree and moved the resulting binaries into place over top
Debian's.

Hopefully this is just a newbie mistake and someone on the list will
immediately recognize these symptoms and know what I did wrong. If
not, I can provide some extensive debugging information from the
video driver and/or try to get some digital photographs of what the
display is doing.

For the record, I have a digital monitor which isn't showing these
same problems at "normal" PC resolutions over an HDMI-DVI cable, but
it won't sync at 720p so I can't completely rule out the HDTV.
However, I can use the same xorg modeline with an ATI Radeon 9000
and a DVI-HDMI cable to the HDTV's HDMI input, and it looks
perfectly fine.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi at yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi at irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);