[Intel-gfx] KMS, GEM and 2.6.30-rc1

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Apr 9 23:05:32 CEST 2009

On 2009-04-09 23:25+0300 Claudio M. Camacho wrote:

> Actually,
>
> Never mind. It was just the versions of the packages in Debian. I just
> came from the cinema and dist-upgraded my Debian and voilá, KMS is
> working amazingly.

Hi Claudio:

Congratulations on your Debian breakthrough for Intel hardware.

For the record could you state what version of Debian (experimental?,
unstable?) you are using and (especially if you are using a mixture of
experimental and unstable) what the package names and versions are for all
the X stack components (from kernel, drm, mesa, x server to intel driver)
that you are using?

I am currently using Debian Lenny with kernel 2.6.26 on my g33 hardware, and
the only way I can get long-term stability (up-time now up to 80 days) is by
using XAA. My desktop use is strictly 2D except for typically several games
a day of foobillard.  Even if I disable foobillard by turning off DRI, EXA
typically crashes after about 10 days in contrast to the good XAA stability
I get even with DRI and foobillard in the mix.

I know the long-term prospects for support of XAA (and probably EXA for that
matter) with Intel hardware are not good so I plan to test a Debian X stack
nearer the cutting edge soon in hopes the long-term stability issue for EXA
has finally been solved with UXA.  So the version details I asked for above
would be quite useful to me.  Usually, you hear of Intel X stack
combinations on this list that don't work so it is good to document a
combination that actually does work.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).