[Intel-gfx] Legacy backlight control with KMS and BACKLIGHT property

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Aug 17 18:12:52 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:47:01AM +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Aug 14, 09 11:29:39 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > We're trying to avoid any direct PCI access from userland these days.
> > > I was hoping we could settle on the /sys/class/backlight interface.
> > Ok, I'll go knock up a Samsung laptop driver that handles this properly
> > then.  Thanks for the information.
>
> Greg, this wouldn't be a Samsung specific driver - it's an i915 specific
> driver that provides the legacy interface. It usable on more than just
> Samsung.

It is?  What other hardware does this work on that does not provide the
"proper" ACPI interfaces?

Right now it's the only way to get the Samsung laptops working, so I'm
sticking with only supporting them, unless other companies say it's how
to control their hardware as well.

Sound reasonable?

thanks,

greg k-h