[Intel-gfx] BACKLIGHT property for KMS case

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon Aug 17 19:32:14 CEST 2009

On Aug 17, 09 10:09:09 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> We still care about other OSes?  :)

Well - I do. Even if I only used Linux so far ;)

> And as HAL is depreciated for libudev, I thought that was the way
> forward for xorg.

I, honestly, have no clue in this area. maybe you are right.

> > From a (very) quick glance at the reference manual I don't see how I can
> > get the device name from libudev - I guess I need some help from you
> > there.
>
> You iterate over the class device names for a specific class, I can
> knock up some example code if you want it.

That doesn't give you any priorities. However, it's probably better to
*only* sort the acpi drivers to the front.

> So you want 2 different drivers controlling the same hardware?  That's a
> recipe for disaster :)

Hm. Right. Idea not good.

> I don't care what to call this driver, but I think calling it i915 might
> cause big issues as you can't have 2 of the same driver name in Linux...
>
> "intel-backlight" perhaps?

Yep. Sounds good.

> > The control method you implemented is AFAICS intel chipset specific. It
> > is definitely not Samsung specific, and I very much assume that there
> > are other laptops in the wild with broken ACPI interface that would
> > benefit from the driver.
>
> I have not heard of any yet, but would not rule it out.

Thanks

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __