[Intel-gfx] BACKLIGHT property for KMS case

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Aug 17 22:32:45 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:09:09AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 06:52:37PM +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:

> So you want 2 different drivers controlling the same hardware?  That's a
> recipe for disaster :)

samsung-laptop (in its current form) is controlling the same hardware
that i915 is already. Implementing it properly involves parsing the BIOS
tables to tell you the minimum acceptable value (driving the backlight
controller outside its specced range probably isn't a good idea) and
potentially also touching the MMIO backlight registers. I'd really
recommend not merging this as a separate driver. It's slightly more work
to do it in the drm driver, but it's also the only way to do it
properly.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org