[Intel-gfx] opengl acceleration on intel 945gm with virtual screen size > 2048

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 21:33:33 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Colin Guthrie <intel at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Mateusz JasiƄski at 22/12/09 15:04 did gyre and gimble:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm rather searching for a problem resolution. I'm running debian sid and a
>> custom built linux-2.6.32 krenel with built-in drm_i915 driver for my intel
>> 945gm integrated graphics controller. While everything was working correctly
>> on single monitor setup with DRI, I've connected a second monitor. My setup
>> was: LVDS1 1280x800 and VGA1 1024x768.
>
> There is a hardware limitation of 2048 on 945gm's so you're outta luck
> (I suffer from this too).
>
> You want to search around for work on "Shatter" which will allow this
> limitation to be worked around (I presume this is still the optimum
> solution to this problem?)
>
> I hope it will work as I quite like my little laptop and am considering
> treating it to a SSD + battery upgrade!

Someone could investigate zaphod multi-screen, at least you could get
3D on each head but not drag windows between them (which
is a limitation I grant but maybe just a different one).

If you got zaphod working, xinerama would of course break 3D again which
is why you can't get two screens + 3D and moving windows between them.

Roll on shatter.
Dave.