[Intel-gfx] Console framebuffer support.

Raúl Sánchez Siles rasasi78 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 00:00:12 CET 2009

  Hello:

  I'm interested in being able to use console in framebuffer mode as opposed
to regular text (80x25) mode. There are several reasons, maybe the most
important is that 25 text lines is far little to get enough hacking
information.

  AFAIK, and please correct me if I'm wrong, frame buffer in console is an
unsupported feature. This means than you may rise into problems if you try to
use vesafb or intelfb driver at the same time as intel xorg driver. This is
also true for latest Linux kernel or Xorg releases.

  I myself have run into trouble recently when upgrading to 2.5 xorg driver
branch, but as a exception I've used vesafb without trouble so far (2.3 and
2.4 branches)

  My questions are:
  · Is indeed any kind of console frame buffer driver is supported currently
  · What are the possibilities if you want to run frame buffer on console
  · Is/are any of them expected to be supported

  I would also appreciate pointer to any related information source.

  Thanks and Regards,

--
     Raúl Sánchez Siles
----->Proud Debian user<-----