[Intel-gfx] About KMS, FB and Intel drivers

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Tue Jan 20 18:57:03 CET 2009

On Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:07 am Claudio M. Camacho wrote:
> 1) Is FB (VESA, intelfb, or any other) directly related with KMS? I
> mean, can I completely disable FB support and still run KMS? Or can I
> use VESA FB with 800x600 where my LVDS is 1280x800 and uses the Intel
> graphics?

CONFIG_FB is required for KMS, since the i915 driver uses some functions from
the fb layer.  You don't, however, need to enable any FB drivers when using
KMS, sine the i915 driver has its own builtin framebuffer driver called
intel_fb (not to be confused with the intelfb fb driver :).

> 2) Is there anybody using GM45 and getting KMS working with
> libdrm-2.4.3, mesa 7.3rc1, xf86-video-intel-2.6.0 and kernel 2.6.29-rc2
> or lower versions? I cannot get it working at all.

It works for me with xf86-video-intel git; but you'll probably want to apply
my "fix LeaveVT if KMS enabled" patch to make VT switch and suspend/resume
stable (see the list archives for that one).

> I also would like to mention that, disabling KMS, my glxgears shows
> only 45FPS, which is quite low (I used to get up to 1200fps on 2.6.27
> without GEM and using mesa 7.3).

Not sure about this one...