[Intel-gfx] About KMS, FB and Intel drivers

Claudio M. Camacho claudiomkd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 18:07:43 CET 2009

Hello, this is my first post here!

I want to write my first message in order to clarify some things that,
as a normal user, I don't yet understand about KMS, FB and the Intel
drivers overall.

I am trying to test KMS on 2.6.29-rc2 with Intel 2.6.0, libdrm 2.4.3
and mesa 7.3rc1. However, I would like to make a couple of questions:

1) Is FB (VESA, intelfb, or any other) directly related with KMS? I
mean, can I completely disable FB support and still run KMS? Or can I
use VESA FB with 800x600 where my LVDS is 1280x800 and uses the Intel
graphics?

2) Is there anybody using GM45 and getting KMS working with
libdrm-2.4.3, mesa 7.3rc1, xf86-video-intel-2.6.0 and kernel 2.6.29-rc2
or lower versions? I cannot get it working at all.

I also would like to mention that, disabling KMS, my glxgears shows
only 45FPS, which is quite low (I used to get up to 1200fps on 2.6.27
without GEM and using mesa 7.3).

Sorry for bothering in the list with my stuff, but I have been trying
to test several bugs I posted to freedesktop.org and I think is time
for me to post my questions here and not to bother Jesse Barnes
anymore ^_^

Thank you in advance, and congratulations for the list, it seems to be
a very good place for people using Intel graphics.

Best regards,

--
Claudio M. Camacho
http://www.claudiocamacho.org