[Intel-gfx] Which Driver?

Harold Fuchs fuchs.harold at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 12 20:59:30 CEST 2009

On 10/07/09 03:23, Jin, Gordon wrote:
> Harold Fuchs wrote on Thursday, July 09, 2009 2:30 AM:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm a newbie to Linux but I have used Unix in the past although not
>> as a sysadmin. I just bought a new Acer 5738Z laptop which came with
>> Windows Vista. I have configured it to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu
>> 8.10 (Intrepid).
>>
>> If I boot into Vista I can watch streamed live TV
>> (www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer) on the laptop's screen *and* on my LCD TV via
>> an HDMI cable.
>>
>> If I boot into Ubuntu I can watch the same streamed live TV on the
>> laptop's screen but the TV shows nothing; just a blank screen. I
>> assume that Ubuntu is missing some driver.
>>
>> Oh, on Vista I used Internet Explorer but on Ubuntu I used Firefox
>> 3.0.11 but I don't *think* that's the problem. Or ????
>>

> Not related.
>

>> I did 'sudo lspci -vv' to a file. The results (I edited out what I
>> think are the non-relevant parts) are appended. I found your web site
>> (http://intellinuxgraphics.org/) and tried to find a driver that
>> matches my hardware but, possibly because I'm a complete ignoramus in
>> these matters, I have no real idea what I'm looking at/for. None of
>> the serial numbers on the web site *seem* to match any of my lspci
>> output.
>>

> Your chipset is GM45.
>

>> Is there a driver that I can install that will let Ubuntu find the
>> HDMI-attached TV? Do I need separate drivers for sound and vision?
>> Which one(s)?
>>

> The current Intel driver supports HDMI. You may try a newer Ubuntu repo like 9.04 or even better 9.10.
> The HDMI audio driver support should be in kernel 2.6.30.
>
> Gordon

Gordon,

Thank you for your reply. I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 (kernel 2.6.28-13)
and can now *sometimes* get a picture on my HDMI TV. When I do get a
picture, the laptop's screen is distorted or more than fills the screen.
If I unplud the HDMI cable the laptop's screen stays distorted and,
therefore, rather difficult to manage because menus etc. are off the
screen. I have not been able to find a reproducible procedure for
displaying anything on the TV. I have *never* been able to get sound.
Any sound I do get only comes out of the laptop's speakers.

I'm a bit puzzled about your reference to Ubuntu 9.10 because it seems
that isn't due till October (see, for example
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/22/ubuntu_karmic_koala/) ???

Please help. As I said, I'm a complete novice with Ubuntu so words of
one syllable please :-)

Harold Fuchs
London, England