[Intel-gfx] HD (x)video troubles

Arne intelgraphics at ikujam.org
Tue Jul 21 22:43:50 CEST 2009

Hello there,

we are working on an "embedded" platform displaying images from a
firewire-camera in realtime and replaying recorded videos with a
resolution of 1280x1024. On our current platform (945GME) we get flaws
(small video lags every 20-25 secs) when we put the camera at 30 fps, so
we stay at 29 fps, which is suboptimal sadly. So, this week, we got a
new mainboard with a GM45 chipset, and it got even worse - I think it's
something like the horizontal tearing bug I read about in this list
(http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2008-December/000745.html).

For info, we're using a minimal debian system (ratpoison as
windowmanager, awesome btw ;) ), our current platform uses etch and a
custom 2.6.24 kernel with debian's i810 driver. On the test platform I
got the tearing bug with both stock debian kernel 2.6.26 (lenny) and
custom 2.6.28.9, using lenny's 2.3.2 intel driver. Lastly, I tried with
debian unstable and the 2.6.30 kernel, but X crashes on the second
startup, with driver version 2.7.1 and 2.7.99.
Finally, our program displaying the camera images uses XVideo, so we're
stuck with that for now.

I am going to try driver verrsion 2.5.1 tomorrow (cf
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2008-December/000818.html),
but am willing to do tests on other versions. I can post xorg.conf/logs
tomorrow as well.

For now, I have just a simple question - is there any kernel/driver
combination you would recommend for HD video playback using xvideo on
either of those boards ?

thanks,

Arne