[Intel-gfx] HD (x)video troubles

David Amiel david at lesamiel.fr
Wed Jul 22 00:20:21 CEST 2009

Hello,

Le Mar 21 juillet 2009 22:43, Arne a écrit :
> Hello there,
>
> we are working on an "embedded" platform displaying images from a
> firewire-camera in realtime and replaying recorded videos with a
> resolution of 1280x1024. On our current platform (945GME) we get flaws
> (small video lags every 20-25 secs) when we put the camera at 30 fps, so
> we stay at 29 fps, which is suboptimal sadly. So, this week, we got a
> new mainboard with a GM45 chipset, and it got even worse - I think it's
> something like the horizontal tearing bug I read about in this list
> (http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2008-December/000745.html).
>
> For info, we're using a minimal debian system (ratpoison as
> windowmanager, awesome btw ;) ), our current platform uses etch and a
> custom 2.6.24 kernel with debian's i810 driver. On the test platform I
> got the tearing bug with both stock debian kernel 2.6.26 (lenny) and
> custom 2.6.28.9, using lenny's 2.3.2 intel driver. Lastly, I tried with
> debian unstable and the 2.6.30 kernel, but X crashes on the second
> startup, with driver version 2.7.1 and 2.7.99.
> Finally, our program displaying the camera images uses XVideo, so we're
> stuck with that for now.
>
> I am going to try driver verrsion 2.5.1 tomorrow (cf
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2008-December/000818.html),
> but am willing to do tests on other versions. I can post xorg.conf/logs
> tomorrow as well.

I've got a G45 and I've the same problems as you.

The last working driver is 2.5.1, but you'll have some bad tearing with it
To be able to use a 2.6 driver I've to disable GEM (I've put a patch in
attachment for example on how to do this), it works but there is soft
tearing
For instant I didn't manage to have a successfully working 2.7 or 2.8
driver, xorg crashes at start

> For now, I have just a simple question - is there any kernel/driver
> combination you would recommend for HD video playback using xvideo on
> either of those boards ?

as tearing free feature seems important for you, the only combination I
know to reach this is to have an old intel graphic card (with overlay
hardware inside), with an old driver where you can force the use of the
overlay over the textured mode

good luck in your quest

regards,

David