[Intel-gfx] more stable releases?

Colin Guthrie intel at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jun 26 10:06:22 CEST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Zhenyu Wang at 26/06/09 02:53 did gyre and gimble:
> I'm not sure if we should produce 2.7.2 now, or directly shot
> out 2.8.0. I'd like to include render accel support for IGDNG
> in 2.8.0 release, but both plans are ok with me.

I think the fact that master has dropped XAA+EXA means that this cannot
be a 2.7.2 release (it's already been tagged as 2.7.99.901 last week too).

I think this point about the stable releases is party tied up with my
question from the other day about the kernel side of the update:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2009-June/003014.html

For us, there are several problems with UXA support that make rolling
out a 2.8 driver as an update to a stable distro totally impossible
(it's already hard!). If the necessary kernel fixes to fix the major
show stoppers (Xv breaking on some h/w, font corruption etc.) were
placed into a 2.6.29.x release we can ship that and then potentially
ship a 2.8 driver when it lands.

Col

--

|     Colin Guthrie      |