[Intel-gfx] Kernel bits and DKMS. Possible?

Colin Guthrie intel at colin.guthr.ie
Fri May 1 17:27:01 CEST 2009

Hi,

I just got struck by a thought and figured I'd put it out there to be
laughed at and ridiculed before I work out by myself that it's stupid :p

As more and more stuff from the drivers is going into the kernel these
days would it be sensible to create a DKMS package that would
dynamically compile up the relevant bits without having to build a whole
kernel? If snapshots are packaged up conveniently it would probably open
up the door to wider testing.

I'm not super familiar with DKMS, but could probably suss it out what
would be needed here without too much effort.

If this is possible, which branch would be best to use for it (drm-next?)

In theory it should be easy enough to build a package that works on at
least Fedora and Mandriva, possibly OpenSuSE too (I'm not really sure
how many distros use DKMS if I'm honest).

Is this completely insane or would this be possible? I just want to ask
if there is some fundamental reason why this wouldn't work too well
(e.g. if some bits are not in the i915 module but very much compiled
into the kernel itself and are not modular)

Thoughts welcome :)

Col

--

|     Colin Guthrie      |