[Intel-gfx] [RFC] DRI2 swapbuffers (yes yet again)

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Tue May 5 20:34:52 CEST 2009

On Tue, 05 May 2009 11:24:29 -0700
Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> > On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Jesse Barnes
> > <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org> wrote:

> >> Yeah, ok.
> >
> > It's not something that needs to be exposed in the protocol or dri2
> > module.  If you want the copy behaviour, use DRI2CopyRegion().
> > Another point about GLX_SWAP_METHOD_OML is that we can't really
> > implement the "always swap" (GLX_SWAP_EXCHANGE_OML) behaviour
> > without a fair bit of yucky code, and without that we can't really
> > claim to support the extension.
>
> I think you misunderstand the extension.  The fbconfig has an extra
> value that says "this is how glXSwapBuffer happens."  The three
> possible values are: flip, copy, unknown.  Right now we support this
> extension, but we always say unknown.  As you point out, I doubt we'd
> ever be able to say flip, but we might be able to say copy and
> unknown.  Telling the application flip isn't terribly useful, but a
> lot of applications could do something smart (i.e., partial screen
> updates) if they knew the swap method was always copy.  Right?

Actually I think we could do flip as well, depending on the expected
semantics.  If all apps had fake front buffers (i.e. private back
*and* front buffers), we could simply exchange those two at swapbuffers
time.  That assumes a reasonably intelligent compositing manager
though; we wouldn't want to immediately follow any swap by a copy to
the real front buffer or there'd be no benefit.  However if the
compositing manager was responsible for copying all the fake fronts to
the real front if swaps had occurred it could be a win in terms of
consumed bandwidth and swap latency (I think Wayland does it this way?).

On X, we unfortunately always have to do the copy to the front buffer,
though we could probably get smarter about the frequency.