[Intel-gfx] Colour correction.

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at gmail.com
Mon May 25 01:42:12 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 06:29 -0300, Alexandre Moreira wrote:
>> Hello, everyone.
>>
>> I have to say I'm not at all sure if this is the right place to ask
>> this. And I hope you forgive me if it's not. I tried to find another
>> place for this kind of support for the past two weeks, already,
>> without success. Asking to you is more of a last resort.
>>
>> My question is: Is it possible to have colour correction on
>> xf86-video-intel, version 2.7.1, in the same ways that the driver for
>> this graphics card offers on it's MS Windows version? I'm in desperate
>> need to setting the brightness and contrast to a lower range than that
>> allowed to the /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD03/brightness, since the lowest
>> value there is still rendering my notebook nearly useless on Linux. I
>> suffer from severe photophobia and I can hardly bear to look at the
>> screen with white parts for more than a few minutes.
>>
>> On the windows boot of this machine, I managed to lower the brightness
>> and contrast so it's again comfortable to use, but I've been trying
>> without success for a long time to find such an option on the Linux
>> driver.
>>
>> Is there some sort of utility similar to nvidia-settings to this card on Linux?
>>
>> Again, I apologize if this is not the correct place to ask, but being
>> forced to use Windows again after 12 years of Linux is not funny at
>> all, and you guys were my last hope of getting an answer.
>
> My personal suggestion for an immediate workaround would be to look at
> the accessibility settings / plugins in the compiz window manager. You
> can adjust various video output settings for windows on the system.
>
> Best regards,

First of all: I'm sorry, Peter, for having this sent to your private
mailbox instead of the list. I thought gmail would handle the
"Reply-to:" header that is so common in mail lists. Looks like I was
mistaken :(

Here is a copy of the message I sent to Peter, regarding his reply.

--- start of message ---

Thank you, Peter, for your reply.

Unfortunately, I tried that about a week ago, following the advice of
a friend. The problem is that Intel X3100 is blacklisted on Compiz,
and if I disable blacklist checking it freezes the display. I tried
changing my desktop to KDE to use KWin trying to find the same option,
but as soon as compositing is enabled there, it becomes unstable, with
the occasional freezing here and there.

If you guys know of any alternative to compiz that is simpler, I would
happily try it. With Xfwm's composite capabilities, it works quite
well, but it doesn't offer colour correction options.

I think I'm running out of options, but I'd like to hope there's
something else I could do, other than keep using windows.

If anyone has any idea, please share them, as I'm willing to try
anything to get it done.

Thanks,
Alexandre Moreira.