[Intel-gfx] How to force VGA output to turn on?

Ivo Anjo knuckles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 12:55:08 CEST 2009

Hello.

Recently I tried to connect my laptop to some projectors that use rather
long VGA cables.
Running "xrandr" shows the VGA output to be disconnected, so I cannot turn
on the VGA output, and cannot use the projector. I have no problems using
the VGA output to connect to monitors and some other projectors.

People running other evil operating systems seem to be able to connect just
fine, and they were also using intel graphics hardware.

I remembered that some drivers implement a load_detection flag to force an
output to be enabled, but it seems that there is no such property for the
VGA output on my intel.

So, is there to force the VGA output to think it is connected, even if
nothing is detected?

This is on a netbook with a 945, kernel 2.6.30.6, X Server 1.6.3.901 and
intel driver 2.8.1.

Thanks,
Ivo Anjo