[Intel-gfx] Interesting performance case for Intel drivers

Vedran Rodic vrodic at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 21:53:49 CEST 2009

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>wrote:

> As firefox uses cairo for these elements, the graphics performance should
> be directly comparable between linux and win32. Furthermore, it remains
> in my interest to fix any cairo performance problems. :-)
> -ickle

For some reason, at least in ubuntu 9.10 where I did sysprof, firefox spens
a lot of time in various fontconfig functions during the operation of
selecting text. This may evict some cache and make GPU operations even
slower. Open source Radeon r500 driver does this much faster, maybe because
the computer has a discrete Radeon 1950Pro, or maybe because it has more
cache on the CPU (2MB vs 4MB).