[Intel-gfx] [RFC, PATCH] drm/i915: split display functions by chip type

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Tue Sep 15 01:38:08 CEST 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:29:46 -0700
Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 14:51 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > This patch is a long time coming IMO, and there are many more
> > cleanups possible.  It splits out several of the display functions
> > into a separate display function table to avoid tons of chipset
> > specific if..else if..else if blocks all over.
> >
> > Zhenyu, what do you think?  Should help with adding new hardware
> > support over time and make functionality a bit clearer.
>
> I worry that we'll end up with piles of nearly-duplicated code and
> forget to replicate bug fixes across all chips.
>
> Any idea how to balance this?

Yeah, we should avoid having a bunch of duplicated code.  If that's
happening we haven't split things correctly, IMO.

In this set there's a little boilerplate for getting FIFO sizes (just
so we can do I915_READ etc) and the existing DPMS code duplication (not
improved or worsened with this patch).

Boilerplate like the FIFO stuff could be removed by changing the args
to the FIFO routines.

Or were you worried about something in particular?  Maybe with the
suggestions I outlined in the structure definition?