[Intel-gfx] Latest Xorg driver for Fedora 11 - res not correct on GM4500MHD

Steven J Newbury steve at snewbury.org.uk
Tue Sep 29 12:40:33 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 02:22 +0300, Kaya Saman wrote:
> > Did it say why?
> >

> No but then again it is AOL or AIM in my case mail..... never works
> right! Too much usage on it though to let it go :-(
> >

> > Looking at your Xorg.0.log file it appears to be using the correct
> > resolution for your panel.  What does it say when you type xrandr from
> > your running X session?
> >

> [root at Hp-Compaq-2230s ~]# xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 8192 x 8192
> VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> LVDS1 connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> 261mm x 163mm
>    1280x800       60.0*+
> DVI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> TV1 unknown connection (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>    1024x768       60.0
>    800x600        60.3
>    640x480        59.9
>
> However I can barely see what's on screen everything is sooo big.
That also looks correct.  It's not a high resolution panel, so things
will be necessarily fairly large, but I get the impression it's been
different.  Note that the way global DPI (and the resultant font/UI
scaling) is handled has changed, it's now independent of the display
hardware so that may have affected the size of fonts and screen
elements.  You could try changing that, although all too many things
expect it to be set at 96, so it's probably best to go along with that
and change the size of your fonts.

The latest KMS DRM, and DDX driver versions restore the ability to
select other (standard) display resolutions which is clearly not
available with the versions you are using, that said, it appears to be
using the native panel resolution, as it has to in order to get an image
to appear on the hardware (all other resolutions go through the scaler).