[Intel-gfx] Work-around wanted for laptop i3-330 1366x768 video

Barry Zuckerman bz at adax.com
Thu Feb 11 18:01:07 CET 2010

I was mistaken about the purposes and scope of the "community" as
represented by the website ("Opensource drivers for the masses"...) and
thought people associated with it might have a way to configure or adapt
existing kernel, drivers and X.  Silly me.

I work in a firm that creates drivers, protocols, and hardware for
highly reliable telcom.  There is a strong inclination there to stick
with well-supported and stable kernel releases.  Hence we often are
charged with just such challenges: make the new hardware work without
dumping the kernel release and user-space libraries and starting over.
Reason: there is a huge amount of stability testing required for such
a hasty move.  People expect nearly zero failures in such applications.

>From your remarks, I gather that there isn't time nor interest in such
things at intellinuxgraphics.org (i.e., the community).  However, there
is another community within Linux users that doesn't want to (or can't)
change kernels at the drop of a hat.  It is expected that driver fixes are
made, but not entire kernel change-outs.  Some of us are reasonably stuck
on stable versions of SuSE and RedHat, etc, for our work applications
by strict demands of our customers and common sense test regimen.

Regards, Barry Zuckerman, Ph.D.

PS: In my personal work I run mathematics, statistics, and scientific
applications often on OpenSuSE.  I like it a lot.

PPS: I'll probably give the new Intel laptop to a Windows user.