[Intel-gfx] Work-around wanted for laptop i3-330 1366x768 video

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Feb 11 18:42:43 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:01:07AM -0800, Barry Zuckerman wrote:

> I was mistaken about the purposes and scope of the "community" as
> represented by the website ("Opensource drivers for the masses"...) and
> thought people associated with it might have a way to configure or adapt
> existing kernel, drivers and X.  Silly me.
>
> I work in a firm that creates drivers, protocols, and hardware for
> highly reliable telcom.  There is a strong inclination there to stick
> with well-supported and stable kernel releases.  Hence we often are
> charged with just such challenges: make the new hardware work without
> dumping the kernel release and user-space libraries and starting over.
> Reason: there is a huge amount of stability testing required for such
> a hasty move.  People expect nearly zero failures in such applications.

Then do not change hardware platforms from supported ones, to
unsupported ones.  I know for a fact that this is not a supported
hardware platform for SLED 11.

> From your remarks, I gather that there isn't time nor interest in such
> things at intellinuxgraphics.org (i.e., the community).  However, there
> is another community within Linux users that doesn't want to (or can't)
> change kernels at the drop of a hat.  It is expected that driver fixes are
> made, but not entire kernel change-outs.  Some of us are reasonably stuck
> on stable versions of SuSE and RedHat, etc, for our work applications
> by strict demands of our customers and common sense test regimen.

If you are "stuck" on stable releases from SuSE and RedHat, then contact
them for support for this.  They are the ones responsible for doing this
kind of support work, not the community.

Actually, when you buy such releases from those companies, you do get
support for this, so please take advantage of it, as you have already
paid for it.

thanks,

greg k-h