[Intel-gfx] Work-around wanted for laptop i3-330 1366x768 video

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Feb 11 18:19:50 CET 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:06:57 -0800 (PST)
Barry Zuckerman <bz at adax.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This answer is totally unresponsive to the question.  Everything else
> on the i3-330 runs just fine on SuSE Enterprise 11, EXCEPT the video.
> I'm not asking how to run it with a new kernel.  I'm looking to run
> the X stuff with a modified xorg.conf file, or possibly with a
> recompiled FBDEV to accomodate the 1366x768 resolution, etc.  But, on
> the same fully supported OS (Linux from SuSE), not some kernel.org
> uncertified version.
>
> Does anyone else have any ideas?

I hope you don't expect an old release to fully expose the features of
your new hardware.  Sure, the CPU is backwards compatible, and many
devices on your board are likely compatible with Linux drivers in
SLES11, but the graphics chip is very new, requiring a lot of new
driver code.

So unless SuSE backports support for the new hardware you'll have to use
something like the VESA driver to get the basics working.

So try creating a device section in your xorg.conf with a driver param
of "vesa", e.g.:

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "vesa"
EndSection

then refer to it in your "screen" section.