[Intel-gfx] X not starting - Output VGA disconnected message on DH55HC VGA output

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sun Jan 24 01:57:57 CET 2010

On 2010-01-23 15:53-0800 Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hi,
>   First post here. Thanks in advance.
>
>   I purchased an Intel DH55HC motherboard with a Core i5-661
> processor a couple of days ago and am attempting to bring up X at this
> time. The machine is functional, running Gentoo 64-bit, and seems
> quite fast. The only monitors I own are standard old-style VGA so I'm
> attaching to the old-style analog VGA connector on the motherboard. I
> have no PCI or PCI-X graphics adapters in the machine. My problem
> seems to be that xorg-server is not recognizing that the VGA is
> actually hooked up:

I also have a CRT monitor where historically there was difficulty in getting
recognition of VGA with a g33 chipset.  I dealt with this issue three years
ago based on someone else's advice by inserting the following line in the
xorg.conf Device section.

Option          "Monitor-VGA-1" "Monitor_ID"

where "Monitor_ID" is the string used to identify the monitor.  That xorg.conf
has worked ever since, and I believe the above line is still required because
my X log file has the following information:

(II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output VGA-1 connected

Anyhow, if you have some version of VGA that is connected (e.g., VGA-1 for
my g33), the above Option lets you choose it rather than using the
disconnected VGA by default.  To learn more look up the Option
"Monitor-outputname" using "man xorg.conf".

Hope this idea helps.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).