[Intel-gfx] X not starting - Output VGA disconnected message on DH55HC VGA output

Jin, Gordon gordon.jin at intel.com
Sun Jan 24 03:46:11 CET 2010

Mark Knecht wrote on Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:54 AM:
> Hi,
>    First post here. Thanks in advance.
>
>    I purchased an Intel DH55HC motherboard with a Core i5-661
> processor a couple of days ago and am attempting to bring up X at this
> time. The machine is functional, running Gentoo 64-bit, and seems
> quite fast. The only monitors I own are standard old-style VGA so I'm
> attaching to the old-style analog VGA connector on the motherboard. I
> have no PCI or PCI-X graphics adapters in the machine. My problem
> seems to be that xorg-server is not recognizing that the VGA is
> actually hooked up:
>
> (II) intel(0): Output VGA using monitor section Monitor0
> (II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
> (WW) intel(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
> (II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
> (WW) intel(0): Unable to find initial modes
> (EE) intel(0): No valid modes.
> (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
> (II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
> (II) Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

What's the xf86-video-intel version? 2.9.0 is required.
This new processor is only supported in kernel mode setting. Can you try enabling CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS or boot option i915.modeset=1? That will report VGA1 instead of VGA in the log (as shown above).

If that still doesn't work, please file a bug referring to http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/how_to_report_bug.html. We are definitely interested in report against this new processor.

Thanks
Gordon