[Intel-gfx] X not starting - Output VGA disconnected message on DH55HC VGA output

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 16:16:26 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Emmanuel <eallaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht a écrit :

>>> What's the xf86-video-intel version? 2.9.0 is required.
>>> This new processor is only supported in kernel mode setting. Can you try enabling CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS or boot option i915.modeset=1? That will report VGA1 instead of VGA in the log (as shown above).
>>>
>>> If that still doesn't work, please file a bug referring to http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/how_to_report_bug.html. We are definitely interested in report against this new processor.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Gordon
>>>

>> Hi Gordon,
>>    Thanks for the response. I'm very happy to work with you on bug
>> reports and all. I'd first like to make sure I'm not doing something
>> stupid though so as not to waste too much time.
>>
>>    I tried enabling the KMS option, but I see the overall DRM is
>> modular. Is that a problem? I wasn't expecting what happened. The
>> machine is up and running but my screen went black at boot time.

<SNIP>

> There was a bug in Ubuntu 9.10 with KMS not detecting that VGA was
> connected and then was unable to find a "initial mode". I guess that if
> you disable KMS it works right?
> But normally a fix has been commited sometimes ago, but I dont know if
> gentoo has it though. It looks like Ubuntu still does not have it.
> Ubuntu Bug is # 467841 (there you can find the upstream commit msg).
> HTH
> Bye
> Manu

Hi Manu,
   Thanks for responding. Yes, it does seem like a similar bug. Your
bug report was helpful as it allows me to load the KMS driver but with
i915.modeset=0 on the command line at least my screen doesn't go
black. I can log in and try starting X but it still fails the same
way. Without the i915.modeset=0 the screen goes black right as the
boot starts processing udev stuff.

   I've also tried adding Alan's VGA-1 option. Assuming I did it right
it didn't help.

   I'm attaching lists of the modules that get loaded with and without
the i915 KMS turned on in the kernel. With KMS on in the kernel and
i915.modeset=0 the KMS driver still gets loaded but I guess it's not
actively doing whatever causes udev to blank my screen.

   I'm also attaching my kernel's config.gz if you or Gordon want to
take a look.

   Some additional information:

1) Gentoo allows me to set up multiple video cards. Earlier I had
VIDEO_CARDS="intel vesa fbdev" but I've removed vesa and fbdev and it
didn't help.

2) As the Xorg guys have stated they are going to remove hal in favor
of something else my system is NOT currently using hal. I can try
using hal if anyone thinks it will help or the information would be
useful but I'd like to find a solution that doesn't require it if
possible.

3) To shorten the list of modules I've turned off sound support. Note
that as a test I had ipv6 turned off at one point so don't be
concerned about that difference.

   I don't know what else to report right now. I'll keep working on it
and thanks to all for your responses.

Cheers,
Mark

[SCREEN GOES BLACK - cannot use system]

firefly ~ # cat modules_with_kms
Module                  Size  Used by
usbhid                 21449  0
i915                  205433  0
drm_kms_helper         18363  1 i915
drm                   131763  2 i915,drm_kms_helper
ehci_hcd               30406  0
i2c_algo_bit            4223  1 i915
usbcore               111603  3 usbhid,ehci_hcd
e1000e                108826  0
cfbcopyarea             3110  1 i915
i2c_core               15008  3 i915,drm,i2c_algo_bit
ohci1394               24421  0
video                  17309  1 i915
rtc_cmos                7592  0
cfbimgblt               1793  1 i915
ieee1394               59211  1 ohci1394
sg                     22853  0
rtc_core               11077  1 rtc_cmos
backlight               3292  1 video
rtc_lib                 1617  1 rtc_core
processor              23223  4
cfbfillrect             3058  1 i915
thermal                11522  0
output                  1540  1 video
intel_agp              24181  1
thermal_sys            10533  3 video,processor,thermal
button                  4530  1 i915
firefly ~ #

[SCREEN READABLE - X doesn't work]

firefly ~ # cat modules_with_kms
Module                  Size  Used by
ipv6                  213921  22
usbhid                 21449  0
i915                  205433  0
drm_kms_helper         18363  1 i915
drm                   131763  2 i915,drm_kms_helper
ehci_hcd               30406  0
i2c_algo_bit            4223  1 i915
rtc_cmos                7592  0
cfbcopyarea             3110  1 i915
ohci1394               24421  0
rtc_core               11077  1 rtc_cmos
i2c_core               15008  3 i915,drm,i2c_algo_bit
usbcore               111603  3 usbhid,ehci_hcd
rtc_lib                 1617  1 rtc_core
e1000e                108826  0
thermal                11522  0
video                  17309  1 i915
cfbimgblt               1793  1 i915
intel_agp              24181  1
processor              23223  4
ieee1394               59211  1 ohci1394
backlight               3292  1 video
sg                     22853  0
thermal_sys            10533  3 thermal,video,processor
cfbfillrect             3058  1 i915
output                  1540  1 video
button                  4530  1 i915
firefly ~ #

[SYSTEM USABLE - X doesn't work]

firefly ~ # cat modules_no_kms
Module                  Size  Used by
usbhid                 21449  0
ehci_hcd               30406  0
ohci1394               24421  0
usbcore               111603  3 usbhid,ehci_hcd
rtc_cmos                7592  0
video                  17309  0
processor              23223  4
rtc_core               11077  1 rtc_cmos
backlight               3292  1 video
intel_agp              24181  1
thermal                11522  0
rtc_lib                 1617  1 rtc_core
thermal_sys            10533  3 video,processor,thermal
sg                     22853  0
e1000e                108826  0
ieee1394               59211  1 ohci1394
button                  4530  0
output                  1540  1 video
firefly ~ #