[Intel-gfx] X not starting - Output VGA disconnected message on DH55HC VGA output

Emmanuel eallaud at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 14:46:40 CET 2010

Mark Knecht a écrit :
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Jin, Gordon <gordon.jin at intel.com> wrote:
>
>> Mark Knecht wrote on Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:54 AM:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>    First post here. Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>    I purchased an Intel DH55HC motherboard with a Core i5-661
>>> processor a couple of days ago and am attempting to bring up X at this
>>> time. The machine is functional, running Gentoo 64-bit, and seems
>>> quite fast. The only monitors I own are standard old-style VGA so I'm
>>> attaching to the old-style analog VGA connector on the motherboard. I
>>> have no PCI or PCI-X graphics adapters in the machine. My problem
>>> seems to be that xorg-server is not recognizing that the VGA is
>>> actually hooked up:
>>>
>>> (II) intel(0): Output VGA using monitor section Monitor0
>>> (II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
>>> (WW) intel(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
>>> (II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
>>> (WW) intel(0): Unable to find initial modes
>>> (EE) intel(0): No valid modes.
>>> (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
>>> (II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
>>> (II) Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
>>> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>>>
>> What's the xf86-video-intel version? 2.9.0 is required.
>> This new processor is only supported in kernel mode setting. Can you try enabling CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS or boot option i915.modeset=1? That will report VGA1 instead of VGA in the log (as shown above).
>>
>> If that still doesn't work, please file a bug referring to http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/how_to_report_bug.html. We are definitely interested in report against this new processor.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gordon
>>

> Hi Gordon,
>    Thanks for the response. I'm very happy to work with you on bug
> reports and all. I'd first like to make sure I'm not doing something
> stupid though so as not to waste too much time.
>
>    I tried enabling the KMS option, but I see the overall DRM is
> modular. Is that a problem? I wasn't expecting what happened. The
> machine is up and running but my screen went black at boot time.
>
>    I found get-edid/parse-edid. That info is reported below. My son
> had a digital monitor and mine is analog. If I have only 1 monitor
> attached the EDID stuff reports for that monitor - wither analog of
> digital depending on what's attached. however if I attach both it
> reports only the analog one. (I think. If it matters I'll double check
> again.)
>
>    I guess I need to understand why the KMS option caused me to lose
> all display. I'll have to turn it off again until I get some more
> guidance. The kernel notes were very sparse but suggested that with
> that turned on I cannot do any frame buffer stuff? Or is it just Intel
> frame buffer stuff?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> firefly ~ # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep I915
> [...]
There was a bug in Ubuntu 9.10 with KMS not detecting that VGA was
connected and then was unable to find a "initial mode". I guess that if
you disable KMS it works right?
But normally a fix has been commited sometimes ago, but I dont know if
gentoo has it though. It looks like Ubuntu still does not have it.
Ubuntu Bug is # 467841 (there you can find the upstream commit msg).
HTH
Bye
Manu