[Intel-gfx] X not starting - Output VGA disconnected message on DH55HC VGA output

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 20:10:43 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Emmanuel <eallaud at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well you can try the vesa driver to see if X works. This would rule out any
> weird hardware problem.
> And if you feel brave enough you can apply the patch (I assume you know how
> to do that as a Gentoo-er ;-)
> Bye
> Manu

I'll try the vesa thing if I can figure out how. It seems xorgconfig
has gone away or something so I don't know how to build the xorg.conf
file. I'll have to search that out on the web, and then I'll have to
see if I can figure out what needs to be turned on in the kernel. This
is a turning into a very big time sink.

I may use Gentoo but I'm not a power user. I got started with Gentoo
10 years ago when it was easy and there weren't any options. I like
emerge and like how stable Gentoo is but I cannot do anything more
than run it. I'm old and helpless but Gentoo allows me to run audio
apps and I'm not interested in trying other distros really. the sort
of problem I'm having right now would be there on any distro I think.

I'm very frustrated with this machine right now. I cannot get X to run
and I cannot even install Win XP as the disks don't recognize the SATA
controller and it doesn't seem Intel has released a Text Mode driver
for this chipset yet so that I could patch the XP install disk. I
really don't want to pay Microsoft $200 for some copy of Win 7. That's
about what I paid for my Intel processor.

Well, sorry for ranting. I'm getting tired here but I need this
machine to make a living and it's pretty painful to spend the money
and then not make much progress after 4 days. Gentoo came up on
Wednesday, here it is Saturday.