[Intel-gfx] X not starting - Output VGA disconnected message on DH55HC VGA output

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 18:35:36 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Florian Mickler <florian at mickler.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:56:00 -0800
> Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > With fbcon disabled in the kernel the console still goes black so it
>> > must be something else having to with frame buffer support that I've
>> > not turned off yet? However I think we're making headway because drm
>> > is clearly finding reasonable resolutions for the two monitors that
>> > are hooked up.
>

> Hi Mark!
>
> I think there is a misunderstanding...
>
> for kms you need:

<SNIP>

> drm_i915 needs this to display the console. so you have to set this to yes or make shure the module is loaded or you get a blank screen at bootup until x starts.
>

> hth,
> Flo

Florian,
   THANKS SO MUCH! I am now writing intel-gfx from my Intel DH55HC
motherboard running a Core i5-661 processor and Gentoo Linux/XFCE4.
You're help was invaluable, as were the inputs from others in this
thread.

   I will have to document how I got it going - kernel configs,
compiler stuff, xorg.conf files, etc., but for now I'm up and
functional so I can start using the machine.

   Again, thanks to EVERYONE who took the time to answer, and
referring back to one of Gordon's comments I'm happy to help you guys
understand how it's working, performance, etc.

Cheers,
Mark