[Intel-gfx] X not starting - Output VGA disconnected message on DH55HC VGA output

Florian Mickler florian at mickler.org
Tue Jan 26 09:40:12 CET 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:56:00 -0800
Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> > With fbcon disabled in the kernel the console still goes black so it
> > must be something else having to with frame buffer support that I've
> > not turned off yet? However I think we're making headway because drm
> > is clearly finding reasonable resolutions for the two monitors that
> > are hooked up.

Hi Mark!

I think there is a misunderstanding...

for kms you need:

> #
> # Graphics support
> #
> CONFIG_AGP=m
> CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=m
> CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m
> # CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
> # CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
> # CONFIG_VGA_ARB is not set
> CONFIG_DRM=m
> CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
> # CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
> CONFIG_DRM_I810=m

disable this

> CONFIG_DRM_I830=m

and this

> CONFIG_DRM_I915=m

that's the right one... maybe built it in, to rule out userspace problems?

> CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y
> # CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_VIA is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_SAVAGE is not set
> # CONFIG_VGASTATE is not set
> CONFIG_VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL=m
> CONFIG_FB=y
> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y
> # CONFIG_FB_DDC is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_BOOT_VESA_SUPPORT is not set
> CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=m
> CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=m
> CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=m

i don't know if these are needed. i have them set to yes, but i think that is not necessary

> # CONFIG_FB_CFB_REV_PIXELS_IN_BYTE is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_SYS_FILLRECT is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_SYS_COPYAREA is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_SYS_IMAGEBLIT is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_FOREIGN_ENDIAN is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_SYS_FOPS is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_SVGALIB is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_MACMODES is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_BACKLIGHT is not set
> CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y

i don't have this set...

> # CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING is not set

> # CONFIG_FB_* is not set
right.

> #
> # Console display driver support
> #
> CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
> # CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK is not set

i have this set to yes but it should not matter?

> CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
> # CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set

drm_i915 needs this to display the console. so you have to set this to yes or make shure the module is loaded or you get a blank screen at bootup until x starts.

hth,
Flo