[Intel-gfx] [i845G] No X (no usable screens)(no modesetting driver found)

dolphinling lists at dolphinling.net
Mon Mar 1 00:36:44 CET 2010

On 02/28/2010 05:13 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> I just --auto-selected a cooker box running i845G onboard video that was last
> updated when 2010.0 was released. Now X cannot find usable screens or a
> kernel modesetting driver. I tried adding variously "nokms", "nomodeset",
> "kms=0" and "modeset=0" on cmdline without any apparent effect. Attached
> 2048x1536-capable Trinitron CRT display correctly provides neither EDID nor DDC.
>
> [...]
>
> Is there something else that needs to be installed, or added to cmdline? Is
> this an already known bug?

What kernel version and .config? IIRC, non-kms is no longer supported (at least
on linux)

I'm running 845G with kernel 2.6.33, xorg-server 1.7.5, and xorg-video-intel
from git as of a few weeks ago, and while there are a few bugs, mostly things work.

For reference, I have
CONFIG_AGP=m
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m
CONFIG_DRM=m
CONFIG_DRM_I915=m
CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL=m
CONFIG_FB=m
..and various other options those autoselect, but everything else visible under
the Device Drivers -> Graphics support menu is set to n.

--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>