[Intel-gfx] 2.6.33: no driver gives any usable reaction

Holger Schurig holgerschurig at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 17:11:23 CET 2010

> 2.6.33 requires modeset aware driver, which means current or _very_
> recent. Is that what you have?

In the URL to Debian's bugzilla I tried X11 with intel gfx, and Debian
"unstable"'s xvideo-xorg-video-intel is unfortunately only "relatively new",
2.9.1-2

Somehow I have a suspicion that this isn't going to work in some general way.
Back with the old Debian Etch / Kernel 2.6.2x, the X11 video driver was
quering VESA bios for mode setting. This allowed me to run both 800x600 and
640x480 (interpolated) on my hardware 800x600 LCD display, e.g. I could start
X11 with different resolutions.

Now, with KSM, the VESA bios isn't asked anything anymore. However, it looks
like it doesn't know how to do modesetting at all if an LVDS port is detected
to be active. Now I wonder how I either get around that problem.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de