[Intel-gfx] LVDS panel is ok, but VGA output tears (mplayer)

Antonio Orefice aorefice77 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 09:55:48 CET 2010

Hi all,
i own an asus eeepc1005ha, it has uses intel gma 950.
Playing a video on the internal LVDS panel is very pleasing and tear
free, but as soon as i connect the vga output, i can notice tearing or
flickering on the picture.
I tried all possible configurations:
-Booting with the lid open (tty on LVDS) and then switching to xorg
with a VGA only output. (VGA tears)
-Booting with the lid closed (tty on VGA) and using xorg on VGA. (VGA tears)
-VGA+LVDS in clone mode (VGA and LVDS tears)
-VGA+LVDS in multihead mode (expanded desktop) (VGA and LVDS tears)

Using xv adaptor via mplayer results in a different tear effect, seems
more like a flickering, while the GL output definitely tears.

I couldn't try overlay adaptor because i don't have a 2.6.33 kernel yet
(believe it or not, i've seen overlay tearing too with an old intel
driver in the past, i think 2.7.1, in a cloned mode if lvds was at
60hz, while vga was at 70hz)

I'm using xf86-video-intel 2.10.0 and kernel 2.6.32.9 on archlinux.

I used the framerate test videos available here:
http://spng.se/frame-rate-test/

Thanks for reading.