[Intel-gfx] [Mesa3d-dev] i965 OpenGL is heavily broken again

Maxim Levitsky maximlevitsky at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 20:50:21 CET 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 11:10 -0800, Kenneth Graunke wrote:
> On Saturday 06 March 2010 06:40:27 Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> > > Well, I now have a working setup with mesa
> > > ebbc73d1aed283c9bc4aa2b37bed4374bbaec5b5
> > >
> > > The problem is that I hoped that once all heavy work in regard to KMS
> > > was done, there will be no serious regressions in 3D stack, but only bug
> > > fixes, because it is very hard to track and fix bugs there.
> > >
> > > However, once again 3D stack is in bad shape, and this is not good.
>
> Well...you -are- running drivers from git.  Breakage happens as a normal part
> of development...it's just sort of unavoidable sometimes.   But that's why
> we're helping testing it, right?

I now understand that I maybe overestimated the problem.
Initially I thought that there are many new problems in the shader
generator code.

I know that -git versions ought to have bugs, but what I was worried
about is the accumulation of these bugs. As soon as everything turns out
to be unusable, it is _very_ hard to bring everything back, or in other
words, extreme care must be taken to fix regressions as fast as
possible.

> > More testing shows the following behaviour:
> >
> > Full screen mode is completely busted. As soon as any 3D application
> > switches to full screen mode, even without changing the resolution, it
> > hangs (note that I didn't see GPU hangs due to that)
>
> That's weird...fullscreen 3D is working fine for me.  I'm running xserver
> 1.7.5, xf86-video-intel master, mesa master, libdrm master, dri2proto master,
> and the for-linus kernel.
I use master of xserver too.

I now have both versions of mesa (master and last known working version)
installed side by side (in /usr/local/lib/mesa-{un,}stable
and /usr/local/lib/dri-{un,}stable.

What I noticed that if I start xserver (and compiz) with 'stable'
version of mesa, but then with help of LD_LIBRARY_PATH start an app with
unstable mesa (and I know I do that right), the fullscreen hang doesn't
occur.

As I said before my xserver is compiled without aiglx (but with it the
same problem occurs on mesa master).

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky