[Intel-gfx] 82845G and xf86-video-intel-2.10.901

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 16 06:14:52 CET 2010

On 2010/03/15 22:35 (GMT-0300) Haroldo Stenger composed:

> This is the lspci line of the vidoe hardware of a machine I'm having
> trouble configuring

> [prisma at atahua-ibm ~]$ lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE
> DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 01)
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
> 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)

> I'm running arch linux with kernel 2.6.32

> The machine is an IBM ant the video hardware is embedded at the
> motherboard level.

> The BIOS setup lets me choose between PCI or AGP mode for the intel video.

If your BIOS offers a framebuffer RAM size, choose the largest setting, 8 if
choice between 1 & 8, 1 if choice between .5 & 1.

> The first problem is that when the intel_agp and the i915 kermel
> modules are inserted in the boot process, the text console goes "out
> of range" in the LCD monitor I'm using. I also tried with another LCD
> monitor, and it's the same.  I last tried with a CRT monitor and the
> problem goes away, it naturally changes to "framebuffer" view.

> I was initially working fine with version 2.9 of xf86-video-intel.

> I upgraded to 2.10 , and started having problems, and lastly tried

>From what repo?

> 2.10.901, and the problems continue. Please see my dmesg trail:

I have several machines with i845G video. The files in
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/Buntu/ were all just created on one of them
running Kubuntu Lucid, which is still a 2.9.1 driver. Note that X comes up in
1152x864 if no xorg.conf exists. The connected display is a CRT. Maybe their
content can help you get your 2.10.9x working.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/