[Intel-gfx] i915GM 2D+3D intel driver regression

Sergio Monteiro Basto sergio at sergiomb.no-ip.org
Wed May 5 19:17:51 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 15:59 +0200, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> On Wednesday May 5 2010 03:31:51 Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> > If you use intel-drv shipped on distros, should have problems , do you
> > use ubuntu ?
> >

> Intel-drv? Don't have such a package... I should have problems? :S

xorg-x11-drv-intel > n require kernel > n and libdrm > n .

> I'm happily running Archlinux
happily ?

> > I got a desktop with 945GM , don't have performance problems , neither
> > locks or crashes .
>
> I do have performance problems, specially on Kwin (kde window manager) but not
> only on it.

So maybe is yours fault , because 945GM works since early drives without
problems.

> Locks or crashes? Well, fullscreen opengl apps don't seem to work on my
> external monitor as the screen  turns black after a few seconds(although it
> don't really crashes as I can go to VT and back to get the screen back, weird
> :S)
>
> By the way, I had to go  back to  Xorg 1.7 instead of 1.8 because I had plenty
> of freezes on my laptop :(

Update only Xserver , the most probably that things stop work , after
that you should recompile all drives (including xorg-x11-drv-intel)  ,
see if xorg-x11-drv-intel requires a new libdrm and if libdrm requires a
new mesa etc . If so before compile Xserver , you should compile libdrm
and after that mesa.
So the order should be:
1st kernel
2nd libdrm
3 mesa.
4 Xserver
5 all drives.

> Now everything seems ok.
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

Top-posting is to read only the top of the posting , If you know the
message , is more efficient . that looking for the answers in meddle of
the text.

Regards,
--
Sérgio M. B.