[Intel-gfx] Picture quality on laptop LCD with i915GM chipset.

Florian Mickler florian at mickler.org
Sun May 16 18:22:53 CEST 2010

On Fri, 14 May 2010 16:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
SD <sd.domrep at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear All.

> Problem is - Picture on my laptop LCD is not suitable for eyes. I can't explain exactly why, but it looks like it is not smooth, it is rough, after some time (one hour or two) it starts to hurt eyes. Some time I think it is not stable and it is blinking. I do not use anti-aliasing, all my fonts are clear without shadows and it is very noticeable that something different, they are not look solid or stable, like it on OpenSuse 11.1. And it is not just fonts, anything on screen looks different.
>
> Thanks for comments.

Hi!

I'm sorry if this is maybe too basic. But are you aware of screen
resolutions and the fact, that if the graphics-card drives your
lcd-screen at a different-then-optimal resolution some monitors do
interpolation of pixels to ''multiplex'' them to the monitor-resolution.

This can be easily detected by looking at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log in
both the good and the bad case. (or by looking at the output of
'xrandr').

Cheers,
Flo